Gee, thanks Mom!

gees.bend.here

Scrappy Birthday to me!

My sweetie-pie Mommy sent me the gorgeous Quilts of Gee's Bend book for my birthday, and I keep getting up from my work to go look at it. It's like a bag a of Doritos being on the other side of the room. Well, better than that. What good timing, too as I was just about to share my scrap bookmarks with you. So in the fabric-saving-and-using spirit, here is my little scrap inspiration for today.

fabric.bookmarks

They are every bit as simple as they look:
* 2 rectangles of fabric, in any size you like, sewn right sides together with 1/4" SA
* leave one of the short ends open, clip the two sewn corners, turn right side out
* one rectangle of double-sided heavy fusible that is 5/8" smaller in width and 1" smaller in length than the fabric rectangles.
* folding the interfacing lengthwise first makes it easier to insert it snugly
* after getting the interfacing in place, fold in the open end and press entire bookmark both sides
* I added colorful running stitches with perle cotton for some home-yness (sp?)

marvelous.markers

I have to admit to not being much of a reader, I never have been. Always more of a skimmer, picture looker through my art books, etc. I do think writing a book (and this blog) has changed that a bit. So I've digested a diverse group of enjoyable reads this summer and I confess to pleasingly pairing up the bookmarks with the bookcovers. Go figure. Something about holding the warm soft fabric in my hand as I read is comforting. Most likely a baby-blankey-memory-thingy.

scraps.on.wheels

So if you have lots and lots of this, and not the time to make a giant quilt, maybe a little scrappy bookmark will do the trick for now. Oh! Speaking of giant quilts, I finally decided that I needed to say goodbye to that comfy bed here in the studio in favor of a design wall for making quilts (notice a white background in that first pic up there). I know! Sad, right? I hate not having that little luxury in here, but it was the only way to fit in a large open design space that I need. I do think I'll be able to situate a comfy armchair for hand-sewing and reading with soothing bookmarks in hand in it's place. More on all that soon enough!

xoxox, Anna Maria