Clean Monday



Okay so thats it. I'm a minimalist now.

Oh alright, you obviously know I'm lying. I couldn't be even if I wanted to. But I must say I do like the look of a simple, clean space now and then. Doesn't happen often around here of course. Friday night, what started as Jeff saying he needs a better spot to work in the studio turned into a weekend long renovation process that is still just in it's beginnings. He started by building a new sewing table for me so he could have the old one that he built that I stole from him (I know). Then the whole room needed reorganizing. Such a troublemaker. Then I was whining (again) about the horrible carpet which we've yet to think of the most sutiable replacement for. Jeff lifted up a corner and found vinyl tile! We had no idea.



I am of course aware that I might be the only person to dance with joy at finding dirty avacado green school floor tile under their carpet. But for a studio that sees it's share of stain and spill acrobatics, it couldn't be more perfect. Every surface in this used-to-be rec room whether it was trim, door, wall or rug was the shade of ecru dying. And I do like a good neutral really. I know its hard to believe me. But everything? Ish. I was so excited that someone put a color in here once, any color! I've held off on painting for the first 3 years of living here though, thinking that an almost canvas colored room was a perfect enviroment to create colorful things in. Nope, its not. Not for me. That beautiful ugly floor has given me lots of thoughts on the color of this space & it'll continue to tell me what to do. I am only painting one wall at a time, because each wall serves a different task in my work, therefore I think they should all be different.

So I will share over the coming weeks, how this place gets transformed. One wall, one color, one space at a time. For today though, the first day of Great Lent for us Orthodox known as Clean Monday, this glacial blue is perfect. I'll be cooking meatless dishes for 40 days and I am so thankful that the vegan diet started trending on several years ago. All those cookbooks are a dinner saver around here. Not to mention the ever growing vegetarian sections at the market.

Whew, all that indulgence last week happened just in the nick of time!
xoxo, AM